SOUTH END WATER MAIN (SWM) IMPROVEMENT PROJECT: SUMMER 2020 – FALL 2022
To address the needs of an aging water system in the growing South End area, and to ensure ongoing, reliable service for customers, Charlotte Water has partnered with Stantec (engineering) and R.H. Price (construction) to replace the water main in South Boulevard between Scaleybark Rd. and Worthington Ave.
The South End area is experiencing a high rate of development and the current system in place simply cannot accommodate its projected growth. The new water main is designed and constructed to address the current and projected water demands of South End, and will replace an existing system previously installed in the 1920s and 1930s and will supply approximately 4-times its volume.
The construction work for this project will be conducted in sections beginning at Scaleybark Rd. and will move north along South Blvd. towards Worthington Ave.
WHAT TO EXPECTDuring construction, you can expect:
- Staging of materials and large digging equipment.
- Periodic temporary water service outages. Scheduled outage can be anticipated between 9am – 4pm. Notification will be provided prior to any planned service interruption.
- Lane closures will take place along South Blvd. between Scaleybark Rd. and Worthington Ave. Detour routes will be available as needed.
ANTICIPATED WORK HOURS
- Staging, setup and cleaning may occur anytime between 7am – 7pm, Monday through Friday.
- Most active construction work can be anticipated to occur between the hours of 8am – 5pm, Monday through Friday. If needed, periodic night and weekend construction work may take place.
- Schedules are subject to change due to weather and other conditions.
Charlotte Water is the largest public water and wastewater utility in the Carolinas, serving more than a million residents in the City of Charlotte and greater Mecklenburg County – including the towns of Matthews, Mint Hill, Pineville, Huntersville, Davidson, and Cornelius.
To learn more about Charlotte Water, please visit the Charlotte Water website.
For more than 30 years, R.H. Price has been the professional construction and service team governments and utility companies trust regarding timely, dependable solutions for new, aging, or failed water lines, sewer systems and other related infrastructure.
To learn more about R.H. Price, please visit the R.H. Price website.
Since 1954, Stantec has designed with community in mind – whether that’s in engineering, architecture, energy, water or project management. With a long-term commitment to the people and places Stantec serves, it has the unique ability to connect to projects on a personal level and advance the quality of life in communities across the globe.
To learn more about Stantec, please visit the Stantec website.